Open Spirituality Theme Group
4th Sundays at 1 pm EST/ 10 am PST/
This monthly ISGO theme group adds respectful open discussion to the traditional ISGO sharing group format. Below is the starting point description of the intent of this group. We hope you can join us as we kick off this monthly exploration of our own expanded definitions of spirituality.
Let go of any preconceived ideas of spirituality! We are going to explore the subject of spirituality from every conceivable perspective. This group will combine open discussion with presentations and guest interviews all centered around the broadest definitions of spirituality.
- Respects and values all perspectives;
- Is inclusive of all perspectives,
- Welcomes all that seek to explore and investigate the mysteries of life;
- Seeks to find the common ground that ties everything together;
- Feels that science and spirituality are 2 sides of the same whole;
- Sends love and understanding to all beings.
If you like subjects that are “out there” with a spiritual, philosophical, and/or theological perspective, this group is for you!
Religions generally come from an exclusive perspective that can be very limiting.
This group is for you if ANY of the following statements resonate:
- You feel constrained by societal boundaries/definitions of spirituality and/or religion;
- You consider yourself ‘spiritual’ but not religious (SBNR);
- you love your religious community, but feel there is more to spirituality;
- You believe in the Oneness of all that is;
- You believe in the equality of all beings;
- You love the mystery of life/existence and you would like to explore it in more depth;
- You love God/Source/Creator, but feel that those terms are too limiting;
The Open Spirituality group will explore and discuss the most inspiring spiritual aspects of all religious traditions, philosophies, theologies, cosmologies, and *experiences* like STEs, NDEs, OBEs, alien encounters, psychic phenomena, mediumship, the healing arts, and such.
Open Spirituality welcomes people from all faith traditions. It does not promote any particular belief or theology other than the belief that we are all spiritual beings.
Proponents are self-proclaimed and all are welcome and supported as long as they are open, inclusive, and supportive of the beliefs of others. Open Spirituality welcomes atheists and agnostics as well since the belief in the existence of a deity is a matter of personal opinion.
Open Spirituality is perhaps best defined by these quotes:
“Religion is an external practice. Spirituality is a state of mind.”
“Religion is about believing. Spirituality is about being.”
“Kindness is my religion.” – Dalai Lama
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
There is a field. I’ll meet you there.” – Rumi
“Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of the opinions of others drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.” – Steve Jobs
Lastly, the following excerpt from Wikipedia seems appropriate:
“Spiritual but not religious” (SBNR), also known as “spiritual but not affiliated” (SBNA), is a popular phrase used to self-identify a life stance of spirituality that does not regard organized religion as the sole or most valuable means of furthering spiritual growth.
For these groups, IANDS uses the very simple “Zoom” video conferencing program. After registering for the event, it’s as simple as clicking the link provided in your email (prior to the event).
This is an ISGO “theme group” event offered at the standard rate of $5 / session for ISGO Regular* Accounts.
* This fee is waived for ISGO Subscriber Accounts (must complete full checkout process of $0 due to receive the “Join Event” link).